Your septic system needs regular care and maintenance to function properly. At Murray Hewitt Septic Tank Pumping, our licensed professionals will keep your Orillia area system running smoothly while also protecting the environment. Sign up for a maintenance plan today and leave your septic maintenance to us!
We’ve included a chart on this page to help you determine how frequently your tank needs to be pumped. For example, a 500-gallon tank serving a household of 4 should be pumped approximately once a year. Check out the chart to learn more. For your convenience, we’ve also included some basic Do’s and Don’ts to ensure the success and longevity of your system.
- Pump your septic tank at least every 2-3 years (more frequently depending on tank and household size)
- Know the location of your septic system
- Conserve water and reduce the flow of waste by installing water-saving plumbing features. Only use the dishwasher and washing machine when you have a full load
- Consider using an effluent filter to reduce the amount of solids that can cause clogs and enter your septic field
- Never drive over your septic system as that can ruin your drain field
- Never flush or put the following into your septic system – diapers, paper towels, feminine hygiene products, fats, oils, grease, gasoline, bleach, pesticides, cat box litter, caustic cleaners, cigarette filters, plastics, coffee grounds, etc.
- Do not impair access to your tank